Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm a legal alien


Musings now that I've officially been a UK ex-pat in the US for over a year;

Why are there no pubs/bars within walking distance?

I think "have a nice day" is starting to sound sincere but I'm still undecided.

I actually never learnt to drive in the Uk, so driving on the right hand side just feels "right" now

I never really understood the whole flag thing in the Uk, and I don't get it here either, yes you're American, yes you have a US flag in your "yard" and?, (yes ok I do have a Cornish flag on the back of my car, so I've totally contradicted myself)

I miss Vimto, yorkshire puddings, sunday morning car boot sales in the rain, church fetes, high street shopping, tacky seaside towns, "blackcurrant" flavouring, really, really old buildings, green fields full of sheep, not having to repeat myself twice everytime I order a meal, a variety of small and individual charity shops,BBC2, cornish pasties and years old traditions such as May day.
I could go on, but I think I'll counter it in another post with things I don't miss

Any other fellow ex-pats out there?

No comments: